Friday, September 22, 2006

The Power of God's Word

When our lives get busier it may become harder to set aside time to read the Bible and spend time with God. And the result may be that we feel distant from God and more stressed. It is important to remember that when we choose to put the Bible on the bookshelf we are putting away the very guide or manual that can guide us through our trials, hectic schedules and difficult times.

My wife recently had a baby and the transition of adding a new member to the family has been tough at times. There are new responsibilities and situations that we have to deal with every day. As I tried to juggle the new responsibilities, one of the things that got pushed aside was spending time with God. The result was that I found myself feeling distant from God. But it was not God who moved. All I had to do was pick up the Bible or set time to pray and start spending time with him. He was still there waiting. The effects of not spending time with God became apparent to me recently. I found myself at times being more irritable, critical, impatient, skeptical, and with less joy and peace in my life.

The good news is that I realized this and was able to do something about it. I realized I needed direction in my life and peace and that I could find that in God's word (2 Tim. 3:16-17). As I started to spend more time in the word it was amazing how my attitude changed and I was able to experience the fruits of the spirit in my life. No longer was I driving on cruise control. God was in charge and it was liberating.

CAPTION: "Photo courtesy PDPhoto.org."

No comments:

Post a Comment