Monday, September 25, 2006

Seeing the Gift

The other night I was reading Andrew, our three-year-old, two stories before he went to bed. I read him My Big Boy Potty and Curious George Goes to the Aquarium. As I was reading him these stories I was reminded that this was a chance to connect with him in a very special way. I come home pretty late sometimes from work and have a small window of time to spend with him before it is bedtime. I realized that by reading him some books I was meeting his need for connection and order (to have a routine) and he was meeting my needs for connection, love, contribution and beauty.

Sometimes reading books can seem like a chore but with the proper perspective it is truly a gift. I hope to have this perspective every night as I read him two stories before he goes to bed. Sometimes by just looking at what needs of ours are being met by our service to others we can see the gift that God wants to give us. The sad thing is all those times we missed the gift because we were so preoccupied with our self and the cost of our service.

"Let the peace of Christ keep you in tune with each other, in step with each other. None of this going off and doing your own thing. And cultivate thankfulness." - Colossians 3:15 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment